October 21, 1882
Nine people met in the home of Col. and Mrs. Levin T. Miller at 808 Austin to organize the First Presbyterian Church of Wichita Falls.
Ninth and Indiana,
1883 was the first location of the church.
Dedication of the building was on October 21, 1883. Many referred to this building as the "Little
Tenth and Travis
1904-1914 was the second home of the church. At that time, the congregation had 100 members. A pipe organ was installed, the first in the
Three prominent men whose names are well recognized were
Judge Barwise, the "Father of Wichita Falls," J.A. Kemp and Frank Kell, all of
whom were Presbyterians and helped in the founding of our early church.
Tenth and Bluff
The congregation had outgrown the building at Tenth and
Travis and new construction began in 1913 with the first services held on March
8, 1914. For 45 years services continued
at this location; however, the building was remodeled and enlarged during these
years. An educational building was added
and the sanctuary enlarged in 1926-1927 to meet the needs of a membership that
had grown to about 1,000. In October of 1932,
the church celebrated its "Golden Jubilee" with nine special services. The building debt was paid in full in 1937,
despite the economic hardship of the depression. On March 6, 1954, in a congregational
meeting, the decision was made to construct a new building across from
Midwestern University. When the last
service was held, mingled feelings of joy and sadness filled the people's
hearts as they worshipped that morning for the last time in the old building
where the church had stood for 45 years.
Taft and Harrison
1962 to the present
On July 28, 1957, groundbreaking ceremonies were held for
the beautiful new church to be built across from Midwestern University. The building of the new church was to be
accomplished in a two-stage construction program. For three years the congregation worship in Westminster Hall. The sanctuary,
chapel, library, and administrative offices were next in the construction. March 11, 1962 was a
day of joy and excitement as the congregation worshipped for the first time in
the beautiful new sanctuary. Only recently did the church
add classrooms to accommodate the number of Sunday school classes. Today we thank God for all He has done for
us, and we look to the future, recognizing the challenge Christ gives us to
follow Him in Christian service.